Did you get to this page while exploring ways to claim and practice ownership of your choices and your body?
If you did, you are in the right place and I welcome you. If you came here through another curiosity, let’s trust whatever led you here.
This website, a small representation of my in-the-world work, honors people and their practices toward
• Holistic wellness
• Daily mindfulness
This work and my service within in, is part of a movement that centers those three things, and my own practice shows up primarily in
Gastrointestinal (Gut) health,
Knowledge of and travel to Africa,
and Women’s reproductive health.
If your curiosities and wellness explorations include waist beads, conscious parenting, decolonization and intuitive health coaching, I have tools and time for you; this is a space where you can grow deeper into yourself.
What to expect, essentially:
Opportunities to deep dive into your nutrition, womb health and activism goals.
Contact me at email@example.com to partner up and strengthen your wellness walk.
A TIMELINE OF MY (ONGOING) WELLNESS WORK
- Quit my job and moved to Miami to attend an intensive midwifery school with just a few hundred dollars in my pocket.
- Studied, worked and lived at the birth center. Met some life-long friends and managed my first births, caught 5 babies
- I found out I was pregnant in the Spring and by the Fall I left midwifery school and an abusive relationship so that I could have the supported home birth that I wanted and did in-fact have.
- I stopped eating wheat, and noticed a huge difference right away. I started rebuilding my relationship with my body and nutrition. Started researching the important relationship between digestive health and physical, and mental, wellness. Poor gut health reduces the effectiveness of medications and healthy nutritional changes, making healing and healthy habits unsustainable. Do you have the guts to heal? If you stopped eating gluten because you were diagnosed with Celiac or because you’ve noticed that gluten negatively affects your health and well-being, the Ancestral Detox method is for you.
- This is also the year I started my doula business, Little By Little Birth and Co-founded Gainesville Doulas & Co., an organization of birth workers of color, we partnered with the ACCESS program for teen moms at Loften High School to provide childbirth education and doula services to the students. This experience opened my eyes to the high infant mortality rates for African Americans families, the need to normalize breastfeeding, and the lack of respect given to black students, especially when they are parents.
- After completing my study at the University of Florida and I traveled to Benin with my daughter. Benin is home to me, I was born there, but I had not been there in 15 years and this trip was my daughter’s first time there. Leaving the U.S. literally felt like weights being lifted from my body and mind. When we returned to the U.S. I knew something had to change, to keep that light feeling. Powered by Beyonce’s art and other amazing people I started being intentionally mindful of everything that made me feel heavy, this practice led to major changes in my life. I decided to stop pursuing midwifery school and to instead learn, teach, and guide healing on a more personal, practical and empowering level that would honor indigeneity and nourish my mental wellness, things that were thus far, missing from my educational experiences. I realized that the best way to change the toxic health care dynamic I saw over and over again as a doula was to guide women to connect to and trust their bodies OUTSIDE OF THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM. Contact me to know more about taking control of your womb health (even if you don’t plan to have children!)
- My daughter also decided to start unschooling, which caused an international family uproar.
knowledge of and travel to Africa
- I started developing Wise African Woman Retreats to Benin, west Africa. Wanna come?
Check out the WAW Retreat Packages.
Wise African Woman (WAW) Retreats offer women and their families space to study, environment to explore, and community with whom to gather, learn, play, and expand knowledge.
If you are visiting Benin I offer other travel experiences such as bike tours and rides to the beach in Ouidah. Contact me for more information or to schedule a tour.
Do you want to contribute in a meaningful way to Africa as part of your decolonization or reparation practice?
Join the movement to decolonize knowledge of and travel to Africa on my Patreon.
2017 – 2018
- Wellness Spiral Podcast was launched in 2018 through Akilah S. Richards’ Raising Free People Network. I shared conversations and thoughts about wellness, deschooling and supporting social change. Now I speak on those topics and more on Fly Time podcast. Fly Time was first created to help families center self-directed lifestyles for children and parents. I started it as a local learning group, it has now morphed into a podcast hosted by my daughter, Sena and I.
- I was a patient advocate for women choosing abortion. I counseled women about their choices, abortion procedures and after care. My biggest confirmation while doing this work is that learning about our body, sensuality and fertility, starts in childhood and lasts a lifetime. I witnessed that a lot of women, parents AND health care professionals are unaware or misinformed of the extensive side effects of Hormonal Contraceptives. I now get to help change those realities. Contact me to know more about taking control of your womb health (even if you don’t plan to have children!)